Founded in 1928, the Familex company sets up at 1600 De Lorimier Avenue, in the Centre-Sud, in 1943. Specializing primarily in pharmaceutical and household products, the company was also known for its door-to-door sales system employing many representatives. These salespeople travelled across the province, as well as to certain regions of Canada, to offer households a wide range of products.
Roméo Parent is born in Saint-Elphège in 1897, but grows up in Montreal. In 1922, he graduates from the Université de Montréal with a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy and chemistry. At first a pharmacist, Roméo Parent uses his strong business sense to develop a successful company, which will ensure him a place among the French-Canadian bourgeoisie.
The building occupied by Familex from 1943 to 1974 is well-known to motorists who take the Jacques-Cartier bridge; the bridge’s route goes around the building on De Lorimier Avenue.
The company produced calendars that it offered to its customers. Some illustrations were playful representations of the work of Familex salespeople.
Familex products were also available through certain commercial dealers. A few shelves were therefore reserved for the products of this Montreal company.
In order to promote its food products, Familex offers a cookbook that gives ample place to various goods sold by the company.
Familex food products were aimed at simplifying household tasks.
The company also offered artificial flavors to help make certain drinks and deserts.
Familex also produced various pharmaceutical products in its factory on De Lorimier Avenue. The company offered a wide range of syrups, ointments, and various tablets to soothe minor illnesses.
Household products were also an important part of the salesperson’s suitcase.
A large portion of the company’s workforce consisted of women.
Warning: Use of undefined constant IS_USER_KAKI - assumed 'IS_USER_KAKI' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/dev.ecomusee.qc.ca/public_html/wp-content/themes/ecomusee/page-collections.php on line 27